US2U Consulting was delighted to have welcomed Arjun Kamath, a recent law graduate from the University of Warwick, to spend a week with us during September 2023 as an intern. Below, Arjun has set out his reflections about the week and what he has learned about the world of Management Consulting.
Spending a week at US2U Consulting allowed me to enhance my awareness of the challenges and opportunities facing the Management Consulting world, whilst sharpening my commercial acumen.
I have summarised what I have learned under five key points:
1. Think Outside the Box: An important insight I have gained is that the challenge and varied work of management consultancy requires creativity. One my tasks during the week was to draft US2U Consulting’s Intellectual Property policy. Whilst my legal drafting skills were certainly useful, I enjoyed the challenge of trying my hand at something new and approaching it more holistically than I normally would.
2. Be Flexible: As this was my first time in a marketing position, my week at US2U was not without its fair share of mistakes. However, given the fast-paced nature of my work, I came to appreciate that being able to quickly identify and resolve a mistake requires a flexible and adaptive mindset.
3. Commercial Awareness: Since management consultants advise businesses on resolving their operational inefficiencies, my week at US2U highlighted the importance of having sound commercial awareness. Attending insightful webinars, hosted by the Department for Business and Trade’s Export Academy and Gallup, highlighted the importance of understanding how developments in the wider commercial landscape can impact a client’s business.
4. Resilience: One of the most important lessons was appreciating how resilience is absolutely critical to excel as a consultant.
5. Relationships are Key: Given the client-facing nature of consultancy, I have gained a strong insight into how to maintain professional relationships. Seeing Rachel introduce her humour, passion and curiosity during client calls allowed me to learn how I can build lasting professional relationships.
Thank you to US2U Consulting and Rachel for this enjoyable and engaging experience!